zsofia

Zsofia

I love reading YA and will read most anything that goes underneath YA. =)
Callum & Harper - Fisher Amelie While I'm sure there are those who would really like this book, it just fell a bit flat for me.

I think the main issue I had is with it is the utter blindness of our two protagonists. They were in love each other but were too insecure to do anything about for two years. Now, this wouldn't have bothered me so much normally, since depending on my mood, I can engulf romances just fine so long as they're well-written. I felt like Callum and Harper were so blind though that it was just illogical.

Yes, I'm sure some will say that's how many lovers are, but if you've read the book, you've probably noticed there were many moments where their feelings should have been very obvious - moments where they actually begin to admit their feelings for each other, moments where they kiss passionately but then the wrong thing is said and they're too afraid to pursue the topic any further.

For some, I'm sure that sounds like perfection, but it was a bit too sappy for me, I guess. Also, the subplot with the stalker (this is a character-driven novel), while gritty at its very end, was generally a bit...cliche. I didn't feel like it added much to the story - except at the very end (which you probably know what I mean if you've read it). Some background was given, but John Bell was your standard stalker, and I prefer my villains to be more...three-dimensional, if that makes sense (think Heath Ledger as the Joker).

Also, Callum and Harper had very similar narration styles - which make sense considering they have similar personalities, but their narrations also constantly amounted to them despairing about their unrequited love. If I were given an ambiguous excerpt from one of the narrators (without mentions of loving "him" or "her" specifically), I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Not a big thing, but it didn't help make them two distinct people.

It was definitely decent, but Callum & Harper just wasn't a great fit for me. I'm sure many will enjoy it, but if you're not too into romances, this may or may not be the perfect read for you.

3 out of 5 stars